As you think about creating a culture of contribution, don’t forget the importance of engaging your customers. Take note of my last BLOG entry where I shared a number of creative ways to engage your internal customers, your staff. Here are a few ideas to engage your external customers, those that purchase your goods and services:
- Thank your customers for their service.
- Thank your customers for their feedback (whether it was positive or negative – remember, a complaint is a gift!)
- Ask your customers how service can be improved.
- Make it easy for your customers to communicate with you. (How accessible is a live human being to your customers when they call your organization?)
- Appreciate their partnership with your organization (Provide gifts or “rewards” for your major donors or long time customers)
- Understand service delivery by “walking in the shoes of your customers” and examining every touch point for service